Faringdon is a lovely little market town located close to the border of Oxfordshire and Wiltshire on the edge of the Thames Valley within the Vale of White Horse. Until 1974 when boundary changes transferred it to Oxfordshire, Faringdon was part of Berkshire.
The name Faringdon is believed to derive from Ferendune meaning ‘fern covered hill’. It is mentioned in the Domesday book and was granted its charter in 1218.
Faringdon has a rich and varied history: the Wessex Kings had a Palace in Faringdon reputed to have been located close to the church; in 1144 Robert Earl of Gloucester built a castle in Faringdon Clump; for a short time Faringdon Abbey stood in the town before it was moved to Beaulieu; the aged Archbishop of Dublin, Thomas Cranley died in Faringdon while travelling to London; Faringdon All Saints Church dates back to the 12th Century and its bell tower was damaged by a cannon ball from the English Civil War leading to the tower being reduced in size ( a cannon ball removed from the church wall can be seen on display in the church).
There are several places of note to visit in Faringdon:
All Saints Church
The Old Town Hall
The War Memorial
Dyed pink pigeons